Thursday, July 29, 2010

Big Brother is Watching


In central London, you cannot walk more than approximately 61 meters (200 feet--I felt metric would be fitting) without seeing closed circuit cameras or being warned of their possible use. Security cameras are on the streets, in shops, the Study Centre, the tube, you name it, they're everywhere. When I first arrived, I felt a little violated, if not intimidated by their presence, but after going on several tours and learning about the fires that destroyed the city as well as the ever present threat of terrorist attacks, it kind of makes me feel better knowing that someone is (potentially) watching over me.

Although I make an effort to be aware of my surroundings a second or even more sets of eyes are now a welcome part of my daily walks about town. I feel very safe navigating the city and coming in and out of the of the Study Centre. After all, the Study Centre is so secure that I have to swipe my FSU key card to not only enter, but also exit the building! Students are required to wear the key cards as proof that we actually study here and with Elvis on the night shift (nothing gets by this man...he sees everything) I feel very secure.

Not only are great measures being taken to ensure the safety of the people and visitors of London, but the librarians at both the Barbican Library and the British Library have several methods in place to safeguard and maintain their collections. The radio frequency identification (RFID) at the Barbican and the strict requirements for a Reader's Pass at the British Library help ensure that both collections are maintained.

Though the security (of the people and the resources) seems daunting at first, but it makes a statement that the things of importance are worth managing and that security is not an intrusion, but a benefit to us all.


2 comments:

  1. not cheesy at all. and that's a great picture. very witty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tara. I didn't think anyone would get it but you proved me wrong!

    ReplyDelete