Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Culture Shock


Today we visited the British Museum, the oldest cultural and secular museum in the world. The museum is literally a block from the Study Centre and holds exhibits that range from the Prehistoric Era to Modern Times. Inside there are amazing works of art, sculptures, carvings, and exhibits. The museum is home to the Rosetta Stone, an ancient Egyptian artifact from 196 B.C. that played an integral part in deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Walking from the Study Centre to the museum took less than five minutes and upon arrival our group was greeted by a wrought iron gate surrounding the massive building with its equally massive columns. Between the gate and stairs to the entryway there is a beautiful garden. All of the differing shapes and textures created for me a bit of sensory overload. Everything, including the hoards of tourists indicated that there were great things beyond the doors.

I was especially taken by The Sir Harry and Lady Djanogly Gallery, an exhibit on clocks and watches. As I think about it, maybe I was subconsciously drawn to it because I'm still experiencing jet lag, though it's been five days since I arrived. I spent a lot of time viewing and reading about the pieces that were on display, silently wishing my Aunt Minnie were there with me because she loves clocks.

After viewing exhibits on Europe, I ran into Erika and we went to the Egyptian Room where she posed as my "hand model" for today's photo focus assignment. My goal was to re-create a flickr photo from the museum and I based my photo on this shot. Unfortunately, the flash from my camera showed up in the photo with Erika's hand and I had to re-take the photo after tea. Not wanting to burden her for anymore of her time, I used my own hand instead.

Seeing all of the wonderful exhibits from all over the globe and ending the day with afternoon tea was am amazing experience. It was impossible to take in everything in one afternoon and since it is so close to the Study Centre, I'm sure that I will visit the British Museum a few more times while I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment