Thursday, July 22, 2010

Man (and Women) About Town


Getting around in the city of London can be achieved by several different modes of transportation. Of course, the iconic red buses and black minicabs are obvious ones, but the tube (subway system) and trains are other options. My primary mode of transportation has been walking. Today, however, we took the Thames Clippers, a ferry, to Greenwich where we visited the National Observatory, took pictures at the Prime Meridian, and visited the National Maritime Museum.

We walked to the Tottenham Court Road tube station and took the tube to the Embankment Station to get to the pier. Taking the ferry was a great way of introducing the theme of today's photography focus: traffic. I must admit that I struggled to capture a vehicle in motion in Trafalgar Square that actually looked like it was in motion, but it eventually worked out.

Like most tourists, I posed at the Prime Meridian with one foot in each hemisphere and oddly enough, my favorite exhibit at the Maritime Museum had nothing to do with ships, but rather, stained glass windows! There were four stained glass windows based on the virtues of justice, truth, fortitude, and hope. Had I not been looking for a "loo" I probably would have missed them altogether. While admiring the windows, I was drawn to something else that was on display, but not exactly an exhibit: the toilet signs! Since I've been here I've been intrigued by the informational signs. They are so different from what I'm used to seeing in the U.S. and I can't help but stare at them.

As always, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's adventures!

1 comment: