Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fancy That!

Ten years ago in July I was entering my sophomore year at Winston-Salem State University. I had been hired to serve as a peer counselor for the WSSU Honors Summer Advancement Program and was looking forward to my second year in college. As a counselor, I traveled with the group to New York City at the end of the summer session and saw my first Broadway production: The Phantom of the Opera. My 19-year-old self was in no way shape or form interested in seeing the show. The most important thing to me was my outfit, black bell-bottom polyester pants and a sleeveless top--the kind with the necklace attached, and clunky black shoes. I was hot stuff!

The curtain opened to the auction scene with the odd little music box setting the foundation for the story. I was less than into it and just before I dozed off the chandelier that was above me came crashing down to the stage! Now that got my attention. Sitting up in my seat, I strained to see everything and hear every note of the score. The story was beautifully tragic and heartbreakingly romantic. The sets were alive--they made a lake, on a stage, with candles! I loved it.

Imagine my surprise to learn that the sequel had opened in London's West End earlier this year! Imagine my surprise to learn that the sequel takes place approximately ten years after Phantom. Imagine my surprise to learn that other students wanted to see it, too! Imagine my surprise when our group scored front row seats to last night's performance! Like the original, the score was beautiful and the story was very romantic. The story ranged from freakishly eclectic to simple and serene.

The theatre experience had me in chills. If I had wanted to (though I probably shouldn't) I could have reached out and touched the conductor. Tara, Eric, and I chatted with a violinist during the intermission. She was very nice even though she kind of spoiled us on the ending.

It seemed as if I had come full circle from the reluctant 19-year-old seeing the longest running show on Broadway to the present day me, in London of all places, seeing a continuation of the story less than six months after the show began its first year.

The show is set to begin its Broadway run in the spring of 2011. Who knows, maybe Eric, Tara, and I will meet up in New York next year for a London/Love Never Dies reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment