Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Great Passport Quest of 2010 a.k.a. Barbie Goes to London

It occurred to me last week that I had lost misplaced my passport. On Thursday, I turned my house upside down searching for it and my letter from Florida State University and came up with nothing. I couldn't search on Friday or Saturday because I was attending my family reunion, but I picked up the search again on Sunday, still coming up sin pasaporte. On Monday, my parents, BFF, and I searched for an hour and forty-five minutes before I found it on a shelf in my walk in closet. Disaster avoided.

The next major obstacle came Wednesday when I arrived at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport where security wait times were extremely delayed. I arrived to the gate at 6:17 p.m. for my 6:25 p.m. flight. Good times. Me: 2. Disaster: 0.

I arrived at Gatwick Airport at 7:05 a.m. (12:05 a.m. EST). I made it through Immigration, claimed my bags, and sailed through Customs without a hitch. There were a few slight mishaps figuring out the the train and tube maps but I eventually made it to the Study Centre at 11:00 a.m. After picking up my key, I was directed to flat 12 at the top of the stairs in building 102. I didn't think the four flights would be so tough, but that was quite possibly the steepest stairwell I've ever seen and building 102 does not have elevators lifts.

This message, left behind by previous occupants of flat 12 sums it up nicely:

"Dear Flat 12,

Embrace the attic, your legs will look great & all the cool people are up here! The stairs make 4 a great story...(free gym)"
Before I forget, Barbie is my “mascot” for my trip. She will be making guest appearances in my photos and on my blog. Unfortunately, she arrived a little under-dressed for the chilly London air but perhaps she'll find some nice new outfits along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment