Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sight Seeing

Today we went on a coach tour with Liz and Lee. I learned a lot more about the city of London and was able to experience the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. I would have never imagined that I would see that up close and in person.

Since I am studying abroad, it is sometimes easy to forget that I am also a tourist in a city that is driven by tourism so I was a little taken aback when our tour guide Liz informed us that if we hurried we would make it to the palace just in time to get a good spot on the sidewalk and beat the crowds. She was right and boy, was it crowded! I remember seeing the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery when I was a child, but I do not remember there being nearly as much pomp and circumstance surrounding that event.

As we lined the street leading to the palace mounted police rode by to ensure that no one stepped off the sidewalk. Then came the band. A band! I think it was Eric who remarked that the band was in better step than the soldiers. I was amazed by the fact that they were using sheet music! After the soldiers marched by we walked along the sidewalk to get a closer view of the palace. As we walked, Tara mentioned how difficult it was not to walk to the beat of the cadence. That's right, my roommate was also a high-school band geek who played flute and piccolo (which according to her is "such a ridiculous instrument") in her former life! As a former Bb clarinetist I literally felt our bond grow. Upper woodwinds UNITE!

After the ceremony I noticed my mascot Barbie perfectly perched and popping out of my purse giving me the inspiration for the photo below which I think encapsulates my visit to Buckingham Palace quite nicely.




No comments:

Post a Comment